Located in southwestern Uganda in-between two districts; Kisoro and Kabale, measuring a depth of 40m (130ft). Most importantly it is one of the deepest lakes in Africa and the third deepest in the world, The Lake is attached to the mythical belief that the lake heals bilharzia. Lake Bunyonyi is a native name; meaning lake of small birds and known for the green and lush terraced hills, which are habitat to over 200 bird species that migrate from the different destinations of the world.
How to get to Lake Bunyonyi
By road, it is 410km from Kampala, which is about 6 hour drive.
ACTIVITIES Done AT LAKE BUNYONYI.
- Bird watching. spotted while on a boat ride, along the shores birds like; slender-billed baglafetch, weavers, egrets, white-tailed blue moanard
- Boat riding. Done on a canoe, common means of water transport used to explore the islands
- Sport Fishing. There are various fish species like; Crayfish, mudfish, tilapia, Nile perch, and mirror crap fish among others
- Cultural tours. there are several cultural sites like; Bakora cave, the Abaheesi, Batwa,
- Nature walks. Guided walk around the community and lake alongside spotting birds, done on the shores of Lake Bunyonyi islands, Echuya forest reserve, and visit local markets.
- Mountain biking. Several tracks trails surrounding the hills give a clear viewing of the islands, done with a guide
- Arcadia lodge. A mid-range accommodation facility on the hillside comprising 25 cottages that are self-contained that are bisected into single rooms, twin double rooms, triple rooms, and family rooms, and have a restaurant and a bar
- Lake Bunyonyi rock resort. A luxury accommodation, located along the shores of Lake Bunyonyi with 12 rooms of which nine are luxury and self-contained and the three are not self-contained. The rooms range from family cottages, double rooms, single rooms, and triple rooms, and have a restaurant that serves kinds of food to the travelers with a bar that is well stocked.